At Idle Tools Corp, we are very proud to have our office located in beautiful downtown Raleigh, NC. As the largest city in the Research Triangle Park, Raleigh is becoming home to fast growing companies like Red Hat and Citrix. Many new start-up companies are also locating here because of the cities many amenities like relatively low cost of living, an abundance of parks and cultural institutions, great schools and universities, and a thriving social scene. Here are 10 awesome facts about Raleigh.
- Business Week ranked Raleigh as the #1 best place in the United States to live!
- The Research Triangle Park, which Raleigh is part of, is the largest research park in the world.
- Raleigh is home to a 30,000 square foot farmers market open 7 days a week.
- There are 12,512 park acres in the Raleigh area – several times the green space per capita of cities like New York and Los Angeles.
- Raleigh, along with it’s close neighbors, Cary, Durham, and Chapel Hill all rank among the top 10 most educated places in the United States of America.
- Raleigh is one of the first planned cities in the United States. The main downtown roads in Raleigh were planned out in a grid alignment.
- In 1831, a fire destroyed the State Capitol building where the governor’s office is located. It was rebuilt two years later with quarried granite delivered by the first railroad in the state
- Since 1853 Raleigh has played host to the North Carolina State Fair. The annual event attracts more than one million visitors with carnival rides, games, concerts, fireworks and more.
- The Raleigh Times newspaper was created in 1879 under the name, “Evening Visitor.” In 1941, U.S. Senator Jesse Helms worked as editor of the Raleigh Times. Since it’s last published newspaper in 1989, it’s facility has been turned into a large bar and restaurant which is a favorite among locals and visitors.
10. Raleigh is known as the “City of Oaks” for its many oak trees, which line many streets in the heart of the city.